Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Frederick Douglass: The Magnificent Orator


Frederick Douglass: (1818-1895)




In honor of Black History Month, I thought I should talk about my favorite African American trailblazer, Mr. Frederick Douglass. Over the course of my education, I have learned new things about Frederick Douglass and his praiseworthy life, full of such strength and determination. Mr. Douglass' words inspire me to this very day. I am currently taking a course entitled, "Black History," at my college. Today, we viewed a documentary film all about the life of Frederick Douglass (see below). In the film, they discussed Douglass' long journey towards achieving his freedom and his tumultuous fight against the despicable institution of slavery. I admire his strong work ethic and beautiful, selfless heart. As a former slave and educated man, Frederick Douglass sought to educate other slaves and help them achieve their freedom as well. Douglass' novel, "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave," is definitely one of my favorite primary historical documents. His words offer such insight and wisdom, which personally helps me understand society today. I dedicate this day to remembering and honoring the life of Frederick Douglass. Below are some of Douglass' personal works and secondary sources centered on his life. 




"American Experience"



"Mini Bio"



The video above is that informative documentary about the life of Frederick Douglass. I found it extremely fascinating! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment